A high-risk pregnancy can present challenges before, during or after delivery. If yours has been identified a high-risk pregnancy, you and your baby will need particularly close monitoring during your pregnancy.
Your Ob-Gyn Fresno Dr. Gail Mallard Warren will educate you regarding what causes a high-risk pregnancy, and what you can do to properly care for yourself and your baby.
What are the risk elements for a high-risk pregnancy?
A high-risk pregnancy can be the result of a medical condition that was present before you became pregnant. In other cases, a medical disorder that develops during the pregnancy – for either mom or baby – causes a pregnancy to be deemed as being high risk.
Things that may contribute to a high-risk pregnancy include:
- Advanced maternal age, particularly in mothers age 35+;
- Lifestyle choices such as smoking cigarettes, consuming alcohol and using prohibited drugs;
- Medical history such as a previous C-section, low birth weight baby or preterm birth or a family history of genetic conditions;
- Underlying chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes or and epilepsy;
- Pregnancy complications that develop during pregnancy such as problems with the cervix, uterus or placenta;
- Multiple embryos for women carrying twins or higher multiples.
What steps can you take toward a healthy pregnancy?
Whether you already know that you’ll have a high-risk pregnancy or you simply want to do whatever you can to prevent one, stay with the basics such as:
- Scheduling a preconception appointment;
- Being cautious when utilizing assisted reproductive technology (ART);
- Seeking regular prenatal care;
- Eating a healthy diet;
- Gaining weight wisely.
- Avoiding dangerous substances.
If you are pregnant – or thinking of becoming pregnant – and are in need of a caring and experienced OB-GYN or gynecologist Fresno CA residents rely on the professional and caring staff at the office of Dr. Gail Mallard-Warren.
Don’t wait – call us today at (559) 432-4963 to schedule your appointment.Request an Appointment