Ultrasound / Sonography
Transvaginal ultrasound is a test utilized by OB-GYN Fresno Dr. Gail Mallard-Warren to observe her patients’ reproductive organs, which include the cervix, uterus and ovaries. Getting ready for the exam is comparable to a standard Pap test or pelvic examination and follows these few simple steps:
- A probe covered with a plastic sheath and gel is placed into the vagina.
- The probe emits sound waves, which reflect off the patient’s body parts to a computer, and utilizes them to produce a picture for your OB-GYN to examine on a TV monitor.
- The OB-GYN moves the probe around the section to examine the pelvic organs.
The test causes no pain, however, some women may experience mild discomfort from the pressure of the probe that is placed in the vagina.
Transvaginal ultrasound can expose the following conditions:
- Cysts, fibroid tumors, or other tumors;
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding and difficulties with menstruation;
- Some instances of infertility;
- Ectopic pregnancy;
- Pain in the pelvic region.
There are no recognized harmful effects of transvaginal ultrasound and they can be performed on pregnant women.
In some instances, a special transvaginal ultrasound procedure referred to as saline infusion sonography may be used to provide a sharper view of the uterus. Your OB-GYN Fresno uses a sonohysterogram to look at the inside of her patients’ uterus to help pinpoint the cause of bleeding or issues they may be experiencing with getting pregnant.
A sonohysterogram is utilized when a normal ultrasound is unable to determine the cause of heavy bleeding, recurring miscarriages, or problems with conceiving. This procedure is used to study the inside of the uterus for such abnormalities s as:
- A structure that is not considered to be normal;
- Fibroids, polyps or other abnormal growths or masses;
- Adhesions/scar tissue that has developed inside the uterus.
Note: Your OB-GYN Fresno will not perform a sonohysterogram if the patient is pregnant or currently has a pelvic infection.
If you are interested in learning more about Ultrasound or Sonography – and are in need of a caring and experienced OB-GYN Fresno CA residents rely on the professional and caring staff at the office of Dr. Gail Mallard-Warren.
Don’t wait – call us today at (559) 432-4963 to schedule your appointment.Request an Appointment