Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Every woman who engages in sexual activity should be tested for sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s) on a continuing basis. According to Fresno OB-GYN Dr. Gail Mallard-Warren, because STD’s are rather common and quite often remain unnoticed, testing is vital, especially if the woman has numerous sexual partners. This is true even if condoms are used every time she engages in sexual intercourse.
Your OB-GYN will ascertain the type and frequency of your STD testing after she verifies whether or not you possess any known risk factors. Following are some of the more familiar types of STD’s.
- Chlamydia: This STD is commonly set off by bacteria, which can ultimately cause permanent damage to a woman’s reproductive organs.
- Gonorrhea: This type of STD can be found in anyone who is sexually active and can eventually impact a woman’s ability to have children if not properly treated in a timely manner.
- HIV: This virus is permanent and can turn into AIDS if not treated quickly and correctly.
- Syphilis: Often passed through sexual intercourse, this is a bacterial spirochete that typically starts as a (painless) sore on the genitals, rectum or mouth.
- Hepatitis: This disease is normally spread via semen by coming in contact with blood that contains the hepatitis C virus.
- Genital Herpes:This common infection can cause pain, itching and sores in the genital area.
Testing for STD’s is done by your Fresno OB-GYN by the use of a urine test, a swab from the cervix or a blood sample, which is further analyzed to detect any abnormalities.
Your OB-GYN recommends at least one HIV testing for patients who are between the ages of 13 and 64 and an annual screening for those who are at a higher risk.
If you think that you may have contracted an STD and are in need of a caring and experienced OB-GYN Fresno CA residents rely on the professional and caring staff at the office of Dr. Gail Mallard-Warren.
Don’t wait – call us today at 888-289-5098 to schedule your appointment.Request an Appointment